Can you use two routers on the same network? Several router users come up with this query and in short, the answer is yes. You can use a second router as the range extender to the existing network. In order to create multiple Acess points on a single network with a single name, most of the routers include Wireless Distributed Services.
However, if the router doesn’t support the Wireless Distributed Services (WDS), then also you can manually create the WDS environment.
Can Two Routers Be Used on the Same Network with Same Network Name?
Yes, it is possible. You can use two routers having the same network name on a single network. There are benefits to doing so. So, let’s take a look at them.
Support More Wired Devices
In case you connect the first router via an Ethernet cable, it can support only a few connected devices. The range should be between four to five. However, if you connect a second router, then it will provide more open Ethernet ports through which more devices can be connected.
Support for Wi-Fi and Wired Setup
If you use a wired home network and want to connect it to a Wi-Fi device, with the help of the second router you can easily do so.
Also, if you have a few ethernet devices in one room and there are many clients, then the secondary router can help you by providing additional ports.
Improves the Signal Range
This is one of the biggest advantages if you connect two routers on the same network. The secondary router can extend the signal range to cover larger areas.
In case you heavily utilize the network connection between certain computers such as LAN gaming, frequently transfer large files, then this network traffics can affect the router.
However, if you use a second router, then you don’t have to deal with the problem.
Selecting a Router
Several types of routers are available in the market. Based on the customer feedback, here the names of some of the top-rated routers are given.
- Linksys EA6500: Linksys made this Wi-Fi smart router. You can easily control this model of the Linksys router from your Android device.
- Netgear AC1750 (R6300): If you use 12 or more wireless devices, then this model of the Netgear router can be a good choice for you.
- Netgear N300 WNR2000: The widely used router comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- TP-Link TL- WR841N: In today’s market, TP-Link routers are considered as the best routers. This model of the TP-Link router comes with external antennas that make for superior signal reception.
- Netgear WGR614: This model of the Netgear router is of high-quality. The Netgear WGR614 router offers an above-average signal range. This router is ideal for houses with brick walls.
It comes with a warranty period of 3 years.
- Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G: Millions of users have claimed that this Linksys router model is very easy to install and provides a strong signal range.
Apart from this, if you face any difficulties while using the router, the customer support is very active and helpful.
Here is How to Use Two Routers in One House
If you wish to connect two routers on the same network, the home network requires special configuration. Also, during setup, you have to select a good location first.
Apart from this, ensure that the physical connections are correct. You also need to configure the IP address settings including the DHCP setting.
An alternative to Two Routers: Add an Ethernet Switch
Rather than adding a second wired router to the existing network, you may add an Ethernet switch. A switch can perform the same task that a router does. The switch can extend the signal strength.
However, in Switch, there is no need for an IP address. Or, there is no need for DHCP configuration and the setup procedure is also very easy.