For Support, Call Us Now :
An Easy Guide To EdgeRouter X Setup
Many of the owners are falling problem with the EdgeRouter x setup. This is a very good router that combines excellent price-to-performance with carrier-class reliability. Its design is very compact which makes it easy to transfer from one place to another. So, let us see the procedure for setting up the EdgeRouter X.
Procedure for Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X setup
Here is the procedure to set up this router and start using its services,
1. Initial setup
The EdgeRouter dows not come with DHCP enabled. Additionally, the default port for management is eth0. Hence, you have to connect your router directly to a computer for the initial setup. You have to use a network cable and connect one end to the eth0 port of the router and then configure the PC so that it can be on the same subnet as the router. The default network address of the router is 192.168.1.x. You can connect a Mac or a PC to your router.
- Open the Settings option. Then, select the option of “Network”.
- From here, locate your network and click on it. Then, select the option of “Advanced”. After that, click on “TC/IP”.
- Then, select the drop-down menu of “DHCP” and then click on the option of “Manually”.
- Now, you have to configure the settings by following the given information:-
- IPv4 address: 192.168.1.4
- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Router: 192.168.1.1
- Open the Start menu and in the search bar you have to type “Control Panel”. From the search result, click on “Control Panel”. Then, go to the option of “Network and Internet”. After that, click on the option of “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Then, click on “Change adapter settings” from the left-hand side of the window.
- Now, locate the option of “Ethernet /Local area connection” and right-click on it. From the pop-up menu, select the option of “Properties”.
- Next, click on the option of “Internet Protocol version 4” and then select the “Properties option.
- After that, configure your PC by using the following information:_
- IP address: 192.168.1.4
- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
Now, you have to follow these steps for both the Mac and Windows. Open the web browser that you use. Go to the address bar and type “192.168.1.1”. After this, you may see a security prompt to pop up on the screen. This page has a security certificate for the site. You have to click on “Continue”. However, you can also click on “advanced” and select the option of “proceed anyway”. “ubnt/ ubnt” is the router’s default login.
After the login is complete, you will see a prompt on the screen asking permission for the setup wizard. Now, you have to click on “Yes”. This will help you to pass the setup wizard without any obstacle.
Now, on the setup wizard, you have to select the following options:-
- For the default WAN port, you have to select “eth0”.
- Now, you have to select the type of internet connection. Most of the time the option will be “DHCP”. However, you can select the option of “static IP” if you are using a static IP. If you are using a DSL circuit, then there is a great chance that PPPoE is being used. The password for this needs to be obtained from your internet provider.
- Check if the default firewall is enabled.
- Then, click on the option of “LAN ports (eth1, eth2, eth3, and eth4)”. Here, check if the address is “192.168.1.1”. Also, check if the subnet is set to “255.255.255.0”.
You have now completed the initial setup for the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X setup. Now, let’s move to the final part of the setup process.
After you have completed setting up the setup wizard, you have to save the changes that you made in the settings. When you have saved the changes, the router will reboot. After the reboot is complete, you have to disconnect the cable that connects from the PC to the eth0 port of the router. You can connect your computer to any of the eth1, eth2 port on the router.
Next, you have to connect a network cable from the modem to your eth0 port on your router. Confirm the access to the internet and then make these following changes to your EdgeRouter:-
I. SIP ALG disable
There are two ways by which you can disable the SIP ALG. Let’s see these methods one by one:-
Command line method
- Select the option of CLI for the top right corner of the web interface of the router.
- Now, enter the given commands:
- set system conntrack modules sip disable
Command tree method
- From the web UI, you have to go to the top-right corner of the screen and click on the option of “config tree”.
- Go to the left side and click on the “system”.
- After that, select the option of “conntrack”.
- Then, click on the “modules” option.
- Next, click on “sip”.
- Now, click on the icon of “+” for the word diable.
- Go to the bottom of the page and click on the “preview” button. After that, click on “Apply”
So, these are the two methods by which you can disable the SIP ALG.
II. DNS server change
Before starting the process, note that this step is necessary for the Polycom devices only. The router will set up a DNS cache/relay as default. You have to delete and disable this DNS. For that, you have to go to the “Services” option. After that, click on the “DNS” option. Now, make sure that there is no interface selected for the DNS within the option of DNS forwarding. However, if there is any interface selected, you have to delete them.
After that, go to the option of “Services”. Then, go to the “DHCP server” option”. Now, you have to change the servers of DHCP DNS that handle the phones’ IP addresses. You have to enter the following pieces of information to successfully make the change.
- Primary DNS: 184.108.40.206
- Secondary DNS: 220.127.116.11
Then, click on the “Save” button to save the changes. After that, restart your computer, phones, and routers. The process of changing the DNS server is complete.
Additional options for configuration
Now, lets us see some additional EdgeRouter X setup configurations.
I. Increasing the timeout for UDP NAT
UDP keep-alive pings are sent by your Intermedia phones to the network of the Intermedia. This helps in keeping the NAT binding session of the router open. Hence, By doing this, any important data can be sent back to the phones.
However, if the timeout for the UDP NAT is too low on the router, the session of the NAT binding can get closed prematurely. This will happen before another keep-alive ping can be sent by phone. If this happens, there will be frequent call drops and many other problems.
So, you can follow the given steps to increase the timeout session on your EdgeRouter:-
- Log in to the router’s web interface.
- Now, select the “CLI” option located at the top right corner of the interface page.
- After that, use the login credentials of your router to log into the “CLI”.
- Next, you have to type the given commands:-
- set system conntrack timeout udp stream 300
- set system conntrack timeout udp other 300
Now, the timeout for the UDP will be set at 300 seconds.
II. Switching on the Smart QoS
If your bandwidth is limited, then you might need to turn on the Smart QoS feature. This feature will help to prioritize VoIP traffic and much other sensitive traffic by reserving the bandwidth and applying sophisticated algorithms. Before you enable the Smart QoS feature, you have to check your upload and download speed.
After that, open the web interface of the router and go to the tab of “QoS”. Then, go to the tab of “Smart queue” and then name the policy. Also, ensure that the interface of eth0 is selected for the WAN interface. After that, enter your upload and download speed and press the “Apply” button. You have now successfully turned on the Smart QoS feature.
I hope that you have understood the procedures for how to setup EdgeRouter X. These are a very easy process and you will have your EdgeRouter up and running in no time.