Personalizing your Wi-Fi network is mandatory to protect your private home network from outsiders and threats. For example, intruders can use the default Wi-Fi name and password and enter your home network.
Are you looking for how to change your Wi-Fi password on an Xfinity gateway? Internet service providers, like Xfinity, offer routers and gateways with some default values. For security reasons, it’s better to update them. Additionally, internet users like keeping their Wi-Fi passwords streamlined yet easily remembered.
Let’s check out how to change your Xfinity Wi-Fi password.
Simple Methods to Change Your Xfinity Wi-Fi Password
Multiple ways are available to update your Xfinity gateway’s Wi-Fi password. You can access your router’s web dashboard or use the Xfinity app to modify your Wi-Fi password over an Xfinity wireless gateway or modem/router combo.
Let’s review every possible way one by one.
1. Access the Xfinity Router Settings
Your Xfinity router login page is one of the most straightforward ways to update your Wi-Fi password. However, you must know the Xfinity router’s default gateway IP address. Now, you have to connect a computer to your Xfinity network router over a wired or wireless connection and follow the instructions below:
- Go to a web browser on your computer and enter 10.0.0.1 in the address bar. 10.0.0.1 is the default IP address of an Xfinity wireless gateway or modem/router combo.
- The Xfinity login page must show up. Next, provide the default username and password to access your account. In most cases, the default username and password are ‘admin’ and ‘password’. Hit the LOGIN button.
- After that, choose Gateway, followed by Connection from the left panel.
- Click on the Wi-Fi option under the same left panel.
- Now, hit the EDIT button right next to your wireless network. You will be redirected to a page that lets you change the Xfinity Wi-Fi password and name.
- Make necessary changes to the Network Password and additional fields.
- If you have 2 networks for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, then you can modify each network one by one. Click the Edit button for each network.
- Additionally, check the box next to Show Network Password to view network passwords.
Click the Save Settings button to confirm your changes on the Comcast Xfinity router. After changing the Wi-Fi password, you must reconnect all your network devices using the updated password.
2. Try the Xfinity Website from Your Computer
If the previous method is complicated, you can access the Xfinity website through your desktop. Here’s how to change your Xfinity Wi-Fi password via the Xfinity website:
- Navigate to the official website of Xfinity on your computer. Then, sign into your account. Once you log in, navigate to the My Account tab and choose Settings.
- Next, click the Internet option from the list.
- Locate the WiFi Network Details column and click the Edit option.
- Then, click on the Edit WiFi option from the right-hand side of the screen.
- Now, you should be able to provide a new Wi-Fi password for your Xfinity account.
- Apart from the Wi-Fi password, you can change your Wi-Fi network name on the same page if you want to.
Once you are satisfied with the changes you made, click the Save button. The new Wi-Fi password should be reflected on the network within minutes. On the other hand, you might have to re-enter the Wi-Fi network by using the new password.
3. Use the Xfinity Mobile App
Using your computer whenever you want to change your Xfinity Wi-Fi settings isn’t convenient. Fortunately, Xfinity has a mobile application to change your Wi-Fi settings and router easily.
Additionally, the Xfinity mobile application is free to download. So, you can download and install the Xfinity mobile app and access your Wi-Fi information and more from your smartphone. You can remotely control your Comcast Xfinity router or gateway.
Be it an iOS or Android device, here’s what you have to follow to change your Xfinity Wi-Fi password using the Xfinity app:
- Open your smartphone’s Xfinity or xFi application once you have installed it.
- If you are a first-time user, you must use provider-supplied credentials to enter the ‘My Account’ section.
- After you enter your personal Xfinity account, press the Internet or Network option.
- Next, tap on Gateway or Wireless Gateway from the list of Network Devices.
- After that, opt for the option ‘Change Wi-Fi Settings’.
- Once prompted, provide a new Wi-Fi password for your Xfinity router or wireless gateway.
- Hit the Save button once you are done.
Your Xfinity Wi-Fi password should be updated by now.
What if You Forget the Xfinity Wi-Fi Password?
You can log into the router dashboard using the Xfinity router’s IP address, username, and password and view the current Wi-Fi password. Remember that the Xfinity login password is different from the Xfinity Wi-Fi password.
For instance, the Xfinity login password is the passkey required to access the router’s web admin portal to navigate the router settings. At the same time, your Xfinity Wi-Fi password is the passkey to connect a network device wirelessly to the Comcast Xfinity router or gateway.
So, you must log into the router dashboard and navigate to the Wireless Connection section to view the Wi-Fi password. You can also update the wireless network password if you want to.
Did you remember the Xfinity login or admin password? Chances are that you have updated the admin password on your Comcast Xfinity router, and now, you can’t remember it. Without this, the router won’t allow you to access its settings.
Reset the router to restore its default settings, such as IP address, admin username, and password. How can you reset an Xfinity router or gateway? Turn around the router or wireless gateway and find a pinhole button on the device. That pinhole button is the Reset button.
Next, press and hold the Reset button on the Xfinity router using a paper clip or pin. Hold the button for 15 seconds or so. Your Xfinity gateway should be reset by now. Afterward, you can log into the router settings using the default IP address, username, and password.
Hopefully, the guide was helpful with how to change the Xfinity Wi-Fi password. Ensure you select a strong password so no outsider can guess it. You must use 10 characters at least to form a Wi-Fi password. Moreover, you can use special characters and mixed letters as case-sensitive passwords.