IP address can be of different types depending on how you are using your internet. IP addresses are commonly used in routers, on your phone, computers. Sometimes IP addresses can also be local as well as static. When you connect your computer with your router or phone then you have to configure the address in your router wizard.
Reasons to Change your IP Address
An Internet Protocol Address, popularly known as the IP Address is a numerical label, assigned to each device that is connected to a computer network and that uses the Internet Protocol to communicate.
You may face situations when you need to change the IP address to further work with the device without any hassles. To avoid online bans or to bypass country location restrictions that some sites impose on their video content some people try to change their public, external IP address. Changing the IP of computers, routers or phone is useful when you encounter the following errors.
- If you have configured an invalid address like static IP address in the wrong numeric range.
- In case if you are using a faulty or a malfunctioning router and is providing wrong addresses like the ones that are being used by another computer or network, you need to change the IP address.
- You need to change the IP address if you are installing a new router and trying to reconfigure your home network to use its default IP address range.
Steps to Change IP Address in Different Networks
If you are looking for steps on how to change the IP of your router’s, computers or even phone’s IP address follow the steps mentioned below:
Change Router IP Address
To change the Router’s IP Address, first, log in to the router as an administrator. Then open the web browser, and you need to enter the IP address of your router in the address bar. You need to provide 192.168.0.1. When the page opens, you need to give the correct username and the password in the fields that are offered. Now, click on Login. Then you need to click on the Network Settings option that you will get under the Setup option.
Under the Router Settings, you have to type the routers new IP address and the subnet mask. Finally, click on the option Save Settings to save the changes that you made.
Change a Computer’s IP Address
You can change the IP address of the computer by entering \ ipconfig / release and ipconfig / renew commands in the Command Prompt option. However, you can also change the IP address by performing the following procedures:
- Click on the Start Menu.
- Then open the Network and Sharing Center option by clicking Control Panel.
- Then you need to choose the Change Adapter Settings. You will find this menu on the left side of the screen and double-click on the connection in question.
- Now, you need to open Properties.
- When the list appears on the screen, double-click on the iPv4.
- Either you need to alter the IP address from the General tab or have to select the Obtain an IP Address automatically option.
Change Phone’s IP Address
Along with routers and computers, you can also change the IP address of your phone. To do so, perform the following steps:
- Choose the WiFi option.
- You will find a small (i) next to the network in question will appear on the screen. (ii)Tap on that button.
- Then, open the Configure IP option and select the Manual option from the list of options that appears on your screen.
- Lastly, you require to enter the network details manually.
General Issues faced during IP Release
Although changing the IP address is not a difficult job, users frequently complain about a few severe issues that they encounter when they try to change the IP address of their routers.
Incorrect IP Config Release- You might also be unable to change the IP address of your router if the configuration is incorrect. Misconfiguring the router to the computer can prevent you from resetting the IP address of your computer.
Connectivity Issue- The primary reason that causes the issue is when you try to change the IP address is due to the connectivity error. If the device does not connect with the internet, you will be unable to change the router IP address.
Blocked IP Address by ISP- If repeatedly you provide incorrect IP address that is probably used by others, the internet service provider considers it to be an offense. Hence, the internet service providers often block the IP address making the user unable to change the IP address.
Network Driver Might Malfunction- Along with the other mentioned issues, you may also face difficulties to reset the IP address of your router if the network driver of your router starts to malfunction or corrupts.
If you are unable to figure out the primary reasons that are preventing you from changing the IP address of your router, you can follow the below steps that can help you to resolve your errors.
Steps Required to Resolve the Errors
If you are facing similar issues like the one mentioned above, perform the following steps to resolve the problems or errors.
Solution 1 – Check the Internet Connection
The primary solution that you need to provide is by checking the internet connection. Unplug the router and then plug in the cables again. Check so that the cables are not disconnected or loose. After plugging the cables in the router, reboot the system to check if the issue persists.
Solution 2 – Check the Configuration
If the internet is connected to the device correctly, try to check the configuration. A misconfigured router might create problems to perform smoothly. If you are unable to configure the router on your own, follow the steps given below:
- Connect the modem to the internet port of the router and your computer to the four LAN ports.
- Now you need to switch on and off the computer, router, and the broadband/cable modem and wait until the boot.
- Open the web browser and then type the router’s IP address bar and then press Enter. Perform according to the on-screen instructions.
- Now, hit on the Setup Wizard. When the wizard screen displays, click on Yes and select Next. The Setup Wizard will detect the type of internet connection you are using. The Setup Wizard will detect Dynamic IP if you are using a cabled internet connection.
- Then click on Next and the changes made will save automatically. You can also check if you are connected to the internet by clicking on the Maintenance option and then select the Router Status.
The methods mentioned above will hopefully help you to get rid of the problem that you are facing while changing the IP address. So, I hope this article will help you to change IP address on different networks.