Netgear Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router (R9000) Review
Surf the Internet and play online games without a single latency.
Over the years, wireless technology is also boosting at a superior rate. The evolution of mesh routers has taken the Wireless Fidelity network to a whole new level. According to market analysis, the Netgear Nighthawk X10 is one of the most advanced WiFi routers that you may come across.
Here, we will review the Netgear Nighthawk X10 router in detail. We will also provide you all the technical specifications, pricing details, performance, and many more aspects. So, you need to follow all the sections very carefully in order to know about the network device.
The Netgear Nighthawk X10 router is a compact and powerful device that will allow you to surf the Internet and play online games without a single latency.
However, it doesn’t have the ADSL/VDSL built-in modem feature in it. This can disappoint you as you are paying a decent amount of money for the router.
The device has six Ethernet ports and the WiFi follows the 802.11ac protocol. You can also connect external hard drives when you are planning to upload data in any cloud backup storage. Now, follow the next sections which will cover the details of the router.
Fast USB 3.0 ports
User Friendly Interface
10 Gigabit LAN SFP+ port for connecting fast Network Attached Storage (NAS)
Price is not for everyone
On 2.4 GHz Weird Fluctuation in Upload Speed
Struggles in WiFi customization
Netgear Nighthawk X10’s Competitors and Pricing Details
The Netgear Nighthawk X10 is easily available at £400 which is a quite expensive one. If we compare it with the TP-Link Archer VR2800, the latter is less expensive as it comes at £200.
But, the TP-Link Archer doesn’t come with power-packed features like Netgear Nighthawk X10.
In terms of competition, Google WiFi router is also one of its greatest competitors. As you will find that it is a mesh router as well and you can get it just at £229.
Wireless Connectivity: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 60 GHz
Processor: 1.7 GHz Quad-Core
Memory: Storage 512 MB,
1024 MB RAM
Operating Frequency:2.4 GHz: 800 Mb/s
5 GHz: 1733 Mb/s
60 GHz: 4600 Mb/s
Ports: 2 x 5 Gb/s USB Type-A
1 x Ethernet (RJ45) (Uplink)
6 x Ethernet (RJ45)
Dimensions: 8.81 x 6.61 x 2.91″ / 224 x 168 x 74 mm
Weight: 4.11 lb / 1.87 kg
Performance and Features
Here, we will provide you will all the necessary details regarding the performance and features of the Netgear Nighthawk X10 router.
Performance of Netgear Nighthawk X10 Router
If you are having a router for your home, then you must turn your attention to its network coverage. The Netgear Nighthawk X10 can deliver you a superb network coverage with a strong embedded amplified signal. It supports MU-MIMO and each transmission channel runs at a clock rate of 160 MHz.
When you are planning to get a Netgear Nighthawk X10 router for your home or workplace, then you may use the normal WiFi. This device is quite superior in comparison to the normal WiFi.
According to our tests and analysis, the networking device can download data at a lightning speed of 102 Megabytes per sec at a close range.
So, when multiple Ethernet connections are active in it, then it will deliver you 17.1 Megabytes in each node.
Features of Netgear Nighthawk X10 Router
The features of the Netgear Nighthawk X10 router are now as follows.
- The processor of the Netgear Nighthawk X10 router is 1.7 GHz quadcore and also contains four antennae. These four antennas will provide you the strongest signal at any corner of your home and workplace.
- It also supports the next generation wireless protocol following the 802.11ad standard. This new IEEE protocol standard will allow you to experience the network speed in short ranges, which is 4.6 Megabits per sec at a clock rate of 60 MHz. This protocol is yet to come into the picture.
- The USB data transmission of this device is 75 Megabytes per sec over a wired network. As it contains a powerful processor, it can easily handle more than one incoming and outgoing network connection. It also has a built-in cloud feature ready with which you can access the files in cloud storage.
- The ReadyNAS Vault feature helps you to back up your data from your computer and then upload it to your target cloud storage automatically. You can also access those files with your mobile devices. Unfortunately, it only allows you back up a single folder at a time.
- It has DLNA, iTunes, TiVo support facility that runs in the device’s dedicated Plex server. Also, the CPU of Netgear Nighthawk X10 is powerful enough to encode and decode a particular video file while streaming it online.
While giving attention to the hardware, Netgear has disappointed us in the software section. The built-in Genie lacks certain options and features to configure the router. We have also seen that the settings of parental controls in the application is only available in filtering levels on open DNS. Hence, you can only access this feature while using the Genie on your smartphone.
The Netgear Nighthawk X10 router is no doubt an excellent and impressive router device. Its superb features, hardware, looks, and excellent network coverage makes it one of the best networking devices.
Our advice to you regarding this device may differ from others. If you are looking for a router that can give you a blazing speed along with performance, then you can go with Netgear Nighthawk X10 without any doubt.
It will be expensive but, we hope it will definitely meet all your networking and Internet requirements. However, if you are to some extent okay with the speed and performance, but want a cheaper device, then this device will be very expensive for you.
The choice is all yours whether to invest in Netgear Nighthawk X10 WiFi router (R9000) or not.